Wednesday, March 16, 2011

$3 cardio

I just recently wrote about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) in a previous blog, so I hope you had a chance to try it. Like I mentioned, interval training can be done on any piece of cardio equipment or by simply using your own body weight. Today, I would like to give you some insight on one of my favorite pieces of cardio equipment. The best part is, you can pick one of these up with a few bucks pretty much anywhere.

Have any idea what it is?

Yeah, you probably didn't guess a jump rope. Jumping rope is one of the best forms of cardio you can go. On top of building foot quickness and light feet, it burns massive amounts of calories. Not to mention, it is huge time saver. 10 minutes of jumping rope burns the same amount of calories as running on a treadmill for 30 minutes at 7.0mph. In addition, it won't put all that pressure on your joints like a treadmill. The best part is, you can use one of these suckers just about anywhere. The problem is, have you ever tried jumping rope for ten minutes? Yeah, it is not easy.

So I challenge you, next time when you head towards the treadmill or elliptical to do you HIIT or steady cardio, make a detour and pick up the rope instead. Your body will thank me.

Questions? Shoot me an e-mail.

Best,

Doug Spurling, CSCS, NSCA-CPT

Spurling Strength & Speed

dspurling@une.edu



2 comments:

  1. Once problem I face with jump ropes is calf endurance you need to build up in order to use them. Every time I go to bump out s couple sets HIIT on the ropes, my calves give out far before my cardiovascular limit goes. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, unfortunately that is just like any other form of endurance, it needs to be built up. Other then doing more reps, there is not much more to do.

    ReplyDelete