Tuesday, March 1, 2011

RANT...Gym Etiquette

Tonight I have to go on a little rant. I worked out for the first time in the evening, after always working out in the early morning. As a result, there were a lot more people in the gym tonight. Some of the things, I saw were unbelievable. People have no gym etiquette!



1. Don't stand two inches away from the mirror. Yeah, I know your biceps are huge, and you can curl 1000lbs, but I can't get to the dumbbells because your so damn close to the rack. Stand a few feet back!



2. Wipe your benches down-I know you like to wear cut-offs and leave a pool of sweat on the bench, but I don't feel like taking a shower every time I lay down on the bench. It takes two seconds to wipe your equipment down.

3. Speaking of cut-offs. I don't care what you wear at the gym, but don't stand in front of the mirror and flex your biceps, and shoe everyone how big your triceps is. Unless your a bodybuilder preparing for competition, you should not be flexing in front of the mirror. I have always wanted to go up to those fools and say, "Hey, flex your right latissimus for me." First of all, I would be lucky if they even knew what muscle I was talking about, and second, I HIGHLY doubt they know how to flex their lat.





4. Don't Curl in the Power/Squat Rack-There called a power and squat rack for a reason. It is designed for exercises that build power, or if your squatting. Sorry, you're not building power curling. Power and squat racks should be used for cleans, deadlifts, bench press, squats, and other olympic lifts.



5. Don't have your DROID out playing the latest hip-hop on speaker- Yeah, Lil' Wayne may be good, but they 45 year old mom next to you doing lunges does not need to hear it. Invest in some headphones please!



6. Put your shit back!-The worst is I go over to the rack to clean or deadlift and their is 400-500lbs on the bar from some clown doing half-ass, incorrect shrugs. Put the plates back on the stand. That goes for every piece of equipment, ropes, medicine balls, foam rollers, everything!



I speak this as both a gym member and a gym employee. I am on both ends, and it is frustrating for both parties. I don't want to clean up after your mess, your not 8, this isn't your house, and I'm not your mom!

Anyways, sorry for the harsh words, but please take my advice. Look forward to tomorrows blog on exercsing when on vacation.



Best,



Doug Spurling, CSCS, NSCA-CPT


dspurling@une.edu

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, when I was down in Boston at a college gym, it was ridiculous how terrible people treated the gym. I cannot imagine how bad commercial gyms must be to workout at.

    ReplyDelete